Spike Lee has always been outspoken about his negative opinions of the Hollywood film industry when it comes to supporting black films. His latest project, Red Hook Summer, was met with a lack of financial support from Hollywood, however that did not stop Spike from creating his movie, which is now out in select theaters. During a recent interview with TheGrio, Spike spoke openly about his decision to move forward with Red Hook Summer despite the lack of Hollywood support.
"I'm moved passed trying to explain what people do. You would have to ask them [Hollywood] why they do the things they do. If you asked, they probably would've said they have their reasons, but I did know that it would've been a waste of time to try and get the studios to finance this film[Red Hook Summer].
"When we began to talk about this film, we always knew this had to be done outside the Hollywood studio system. So it was shot like that and it's being distributed like that. I'm not gonna' put myself in a position where if Hollywood doesn't want to make a film then that means it can't get made."
Source: hiphopwired.com
I'm a big supporter of Spike Lee, but I can't side with you this time. Judging from the trailer the movie just doesn't look good. That's the same style of movies you've been shooting since the 90's.
No comments:
Post a Comment